Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Week 13, Box 13

Last week was a disaster, not only was The Box unforgiving minimal, forcing me to work with Beets (ick), but that week, my kitchen also made the untimely decision to FALL INTO A MILLION PIECES. First the dishwasher, then the sink, and of course I was on a mini-break visiting my two very good friends and trying to get some culture/history. Meanwhile The Husband was dealing with the mess that was my kitchen appliances circa 1967. Luckily between himself and my amazing uncle, things were, for the most part, fixed by the time I got home. and BONUS, new dishwasher!!!!!!

Anyway, for what lacked in The Box last week, this week more than makes up for it. I guess you could say I have an over abundance of.... interesting:



  • Arugula
  • Fava greens
  • Tomatoes (of all shapes  and sizes and FAR too many)
  • An Eggplant (White... neat-o)
  • Peaches (in excess, the last of the season)
  • Chive Flowers
  • And Husk Cherries (aka Ground Cherries, aka... WHAT?)
Ok to be honest I've met Husk Cherries in the culinary world. Interestingly I met them in Iceland, I learned they make a very pretty Garnish on top of desserts, mostly because inside the husks they look like this:



Flavor profile  - they have a mild honey flavor
Texture profile - more like a cherry tomato then a cherry
Culinary profile - some time on The Google Machine proved that the inter-webs doesn't really know what the heck to do with them. This is going to take some thinking. I might just eat them. Not sure yet.

As for the Chive flowers? Right now they are in a vase, on the kitchen table. They look pretty and may just stay there till they wilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment