Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Week 20, Box 20 and an Appology

So for the first time in 20 weeks it looks like I honest to god missed a recipe post. The truth is last week was just about the worst week thus far luck wise. I was sick, The Husband then got sick and then over the weekend I had to take my grandfather to the hospital. So over all even though I got The Box, took pictures and even cooked and took pictures of two full recipes, I just never got around to posting. I apologize. If you were wondering I made 2 dishes, the first was Macaroni and Cheese with Swiss Chard, which was a variant of THIS recipe. To modify it I gave the chard a quick chiffonade, blanched it and squeezed the water out. I then mixed it in with the final product just like the recipe calls for mixing in the broccoli. It was a little bit of a cheat recipe, we wanted comfort food, and when that comfort food is mac and cheese you always feel better adding some green to it.

The other recipe I made was baked potato soup. I followed the recipe found HERE to the letter. It was easy, delicious, didn't require an excessive amount of milk fat and exactly the thing The Husband needed in his sickness. Also a fantastic way to use up a TON of potatoes. Yum.

This week I am hopeful that things will go more smoothly. I am pleased with the ingredients that came in The Box. They will prove some challenges but also some comfort items. Let me show you:


  • 2 bunches of Kale
  • 1 bunch of Sorrel
  • 4 Tomatoes
  • 2 Yellow Onions
  • A bag of Sunchokes
  • 1 Butternut Squash
  • 5 heads of Garlic
  • Ginger
  • 5 Golden Delicious Apples
So we've got butternut squash. Several weeks ago I made Butternut squash Risotto and it was so friggen yummy. The Husband asked for it again so we will probably be eating that. the Sunchokes also provide a little bit of a challenge having never worked with them before. But I'm feeling confident. By the way. This is the Penultimate Box. I will have to decide after next week what direction I am going to take the blog in for the winter. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment