Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Squash as Spaghetti

As I said in my last post, my initial research on Spaghetti Squash indicated that it's a squash not really worth the time and energy into eating unless, for either health or craziness, you decide that the only thing you liked about spaghetti was that it was stringy and therefore this would be an acceptable substitute for that stringy sensation you miss. However, since this blog is about taking what comes to me, I took it upon myself to find an acceptable dish that promised enjoyment without missing the spaghetti. I also figured that since I was being "healthy" in a crazy pasta denying, weird substitution kind of way, I might as well find the least healthy dish I could. And, despite nearly every instinct I had that this was not a good idea, I found that in spaghetti squash 'n' cheese, (like Mac 'n' Cheese but absolutely nothing like it).


First step was to roast off the Spaghetti Squash. There are lots of ideas floating around on The Google Machine as to how to properly roast a Spaghetti Squash. The majority of them cut the thing in half length wise, throw it in a hot oven of some temperature and bake off for somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour until the flesh is forgiving to an invading  fork. I decided to go with 400 degrees for 45 minutes but first I needed to cut the thing in half. If you are attempting this I recommend you get an electric saw to help you out. It took me 5-10 minutes and 3 knifes to split the bastard. Then you have to scoop out the seeds like you would a pumpkin. It was a lot of work, I definitely broke a sweat, needless to say I was already hating this dish.

With that baking off I went about prepping the remainder of the ingredients I would need for the dish. Onions, Oil, Butter, Flour, Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan cheese, milk, chicken stock. All measured out for the full dish. Of course then I realized I needed to half all the ingredients. Did I mention I am hating this recipe at this point.


When the Oven dinged indicating the squash was ready it was time to separate the flesh from the rind. The Google Machine suggests that running a fork along the flesh will break up the fibers. What The Google Machine did NOT tell me is that there is no reasonable way to hold onto a squash that has just come out of the oven in order to remove the flesh from the rind. Squash fresh out of the oven is hot and slippery. This was not a fun task.

Once I got the majority of the flesh into the bowl, and realized I had less then I needed for the full recipe. I made the cheese sauce for the 'n' cheese. Making cheese sauce is easier then you think. Start with a roux which is equal parts butter and flour. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook the roux for about 30 seconds, the color will go from white, to blond to a darker blond, don't let it go past dark blond. Add, while whisking, about a 1/3 of the chicken stock. then, once the roux has given up it's lumps, add the remainder of your milk and chicken stock. Keep whisking and bring to a boil, then drop the heat to a simmer and keep whisking until the sauce begins to thicken. Once it's as thick as good gravy, add in the cheddar cheese, oh and keep whisking until combined. Cut the heat. Fold in 2 cups of baby spinach and let it wilt off the remainder of the heat.


Mix the sauce and spinach in with the spaghetti squash and pour into an appropriately size pan. Cover with the Parmesan cheese. Bake until brown and bubbly.



The End Result:


THE VERDICT:
This is not Mac 'n' Cheese. This is not even an appropriate substitute for mac 'n' cheese. This is spaghetti squash in a cheese sauce and the result is... weird. I mean, flavor wise, it was yummy, one can't really complain about cheese sauce, that stuff is ALWAYS good. Texture wise though, something was off. The Spaghetti Squash retains a kind of crispness that is just plain unattractive next to the smoothness of the cheese sauce. The Husband ate the dish cautiously. And he seemed to agree with me on the whole flavor vs. texture debate although he claimed he could taste the squashyness. Overall I think the dish was just, a bit of a mess. Plus it made me ill, I might be allergic to spaghetti squash. (because obviously it couldn't be the cheese and the little bit of lactose intolerance I have).

The Recipe:
Recipe credit goes to Gina Homolka over at skinnytaste.com and can be found HERE.

  • 5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from about 2 small)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1/4 cup flour (use 2 tbsp corn starch for gf)
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 1 cup fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian)
  • 8 oz Sargento 2% reduced fat mild cheddar
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 cups (about 4 oz) baby spinach
  • 1/8 cup grated parmesan


  1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place squash on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 min. 
  2. Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Drop oven temperature to 375ºF.
  3. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes.
  4. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked spaghetti squash and baby spinach, pour into a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. 
  6. Bake until bubbly and golden 25 to 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment