Friday, August 23, 2013

Feeling Corny

I don't eat a lot of corn. I have what I would call in polite company a "corn intolerance."  This intolerance has led to a lifetime of slowly removing corn products from my diet because I feel better when I refrain from eating them. This is, of course, incredibly difficult because 1) Corn Syrup is in everything and 2) Corn, in its truest and most natural form is G*d Damn delicious. The Husband, is also a big fan of the devilishly tasty kernels. His favorite way to consume this evil overgrown weed is in the form of cornbread. So when two ears of sweet Corn showed up in the box this week, he begged for Cornbread and I willingly complied, even though I knew my consumption of said evil but delicious result would be limited to a single piece, maybe.


Cornbread can be sweet or savory, it can pure, or mixed with any multitude of ingredients. I pulled a couple of recipes from the world wide web and The Husband selected one with chives and thyme and purchased the ingredients missing from our cupboard. When he got home I set to work. The first step, since of course this is a quick bread (sensing a pattern? I promise once the weather gets cooler you will have yeast breads in the future) involves combining the wet and dry ingredients separately.


Once the wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly combined in separate bowls, the next task is to tackle the corn. First you have to shuck it. which is not as fun as it sounds. Then using a knife, remove the kernels from the cob. The Husband and I started with our chef's knife. This proved unstable and dangerous and as I am a little bit knife shy right now we switched to a paring knife. This also proved difficult; Corn Kernels went everywhere and the knife was constantly slipping. Genius thought by The Husband - serrated knife. Those perfect little kernels of gold came off without much effort after that.


The Recipe called for a 1/2 cup of corn kernels to be added to the wet ingredients. The recipe also said this 1/2 cup of kernels was supposed to come from about 2 ears of corn. Well 2 ears of corn later we had a little over a cup of kernels. The Husband, who believes in following every recipe to its exact specifications, added exactly 1/2 a cup.


  • Me: What are we going to do with the rest of it?
  • The Husband: I don't know, eat it?
  • Me: No, I'm gonna throw it in anyway.
  • The Husband: But it says 1/2 a cup
  • Me: Who cares?


And so I did, to his frustration. I then gently added the wet to the dry, folding until just combined and the poured it into an 8 by 8 pan


25 minutes in a 350 degree oven and the bread came out for a cool-down. It was quite... um... yellow?


The final result:


THE VERDICT:

My tiny, stomach accepting piece was delicious in my view and very very corny. I would have happily  consumed more if I thought my body could take it, but aye there is the rub. The Bacon and Eggs were of course fantastically made by my main squeeze, YUM. The Husband also seemed pleased with the bread, although he felt the need to point out that he thought there was too many kernels in it. Just can't please the man.

The Recipe:
Recipe credit goes to Lydia Walshin over at theperfectpantry.com and can be found HERE.

  • 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp minced chives
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (approx. 2 ears of fresh corn), or defrosted frozen corn kernels
  • Baking spray



  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with baking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt and pepper. Stir with a whisk to mix well. In another mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, canola oil, egg, herbs and corn kernels. Stir well, then pour this mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist (do not overmix, or the cornbread will be tough), and pour the batter into the prepared pan. With a rubber spatula, spread the batter to all corners of the pan.
  3. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until the cornbread is lightly browned and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Test with a toothpick in the center of the pan; if it comes out clean, the cornbread is done.
  4. Let the cornbread cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 5-10 minutes. Cut into squares, and serve with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment