Thursday, July 11, 2013

Blackjack!

Sometimes you just need a break. It's hot, it's sweaty, and your feet are exhausted from a day spent in heels. That was my night last night. There is nothing quite like forgetting to set the timer on the air conditioning in a second floor apartment. The last thing The Husband and I wanted to do was cook. We wanted to collapse on the couch in front of the air conditioning in minimal clothing (get your mind out of the gutter).  That's what we wanted to do... but we had all this mint, and Chocolate Mint at that... what to do... what to do.... and then... Inspiration struck. Do you know what I came up with? I'll give you a hint:




Darn tootin' we were making Chocolate Mint Mojitos, and just for kicks and giggles I figured I would also make a Chocolate Mint Julep, because it's 90 degrees and WHY NOT!

First the Chocolate Mint Mojito (Recipe Credit goes to the back of the package our muddler came in)

Ingredients:
  • 10 Chocolate mint leaves
  • 2 teaspoons of white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of Lime Juice
  • White Rum (we used Bacardi) 
  • Club soda
Muddle, with a muddler (if you are fancy like the Husband and I) or a wooden spoon, the sugar and half the Chocolate Mint leaves at the bottom of a tall glass. The goal is to bruise the leaves so the Chocolate Mint starts to release its oils. If you like mint but aren't a HUGE mint fan, add in a little ice at this step.


Fill the glass 1/2 way with ice. Add two tablespoons of lime juice (FRESH PLEASE), the 1.5 oz of clear rum, the remainder of the mint leaves and  Stir!


Top it off with a little club soda and enjoy!



THE VERDICT:

Well, I love mojitos and this mojito was definitely yum, although not as traditional as I wanted it to be. A REAL mojito muddles the mint and the sugar with a lime wedge, and uses more sugar I think; also it's garnished with a piece of sugar cane. However, this was much better than the overly sweetened, simple syrup stuff you get at most restaurants.  Totally worth doing yourself. The Husband, who is a gin and tonic drinker, added more lime to his than I did and still declared it "too sweet." His taste buds must be whack.

SECOND RECIPE:

Now for a Chocolate Mint Julep (Recipe Credit goes to Rachel Maddow and can be found here)

Ingredients:

  • One teaspoon sugar 
  • 4 Chocolate Mint leaves plus one Chocolate mint sprig 
  • 2 1/2 ounces Maker's Mark Bourbon
Muddle the Chocolate Mint and the sugar at the bottom of the glass until the mint is nicely bruised.


Fill the glass with crushed ice to the 3/4 mark and add 1/2 the bourbon and stir (we didn't have enough crushed ice so we used good old fashioned cubed).



Top it off with more crushed ice and add the remainder of the bourbon.


Wait for the glass to get frosty and frozen, garnish with a mint sprig and enjoy!


THE VERDICT:

Well if you like Bourbon and you like mint you MIGHT like this drink. Let's just say this prohibition-era drink was essentially a NON-Starter for The Husband. Two sips and it was dumped down the drain. I like bourbon, I drink Hot Toddies in the winter and really enjoy them, but even this was a little strong for me. Although in fairness you can taste the mint, and there is a little sweetness. In general however, I think It's safe to say we are not Mint Julep drinkers.

As for the "Chocolate"  in the Chocolate Mint... it did show up slightly in the background of both drinks. It kind of has this deeper flavor then other kinds of mints, and is slightly sweeter. The sugar brought that out. I think I tasted it more in the Mint Julep actually, probably because it wasn't competing with lime juice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go make myself another Mojito!


No comments:

Post a Comment