Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week 5 Box 5

This week I had a nice little change of pace when it came to picking up The Box.  It was not sinister-ly delivered to me by The Husband.  The Husband was working late so... I went. I took the 45 minute trip north through the traffic (and I HATE traffic) to get to my MIL's house where the abundance of veg was waiting for me. Once there my MIL and I lazily divided the contents in almost-half, chit-chatting and catching up, then we went out for a delicious pizza dinner where we discussed the various uses of the various veg we received.  It was delightful and made the following a little less of a conundrum.


This week The Box contained:
  • Escarole
  • Tomatoes
  • Yellow Zucchini (which is not much different from....)
  • Green Zucchini 
  • Fennel (OMG FENNEL)
  • Texas Star Onions (whatever that means) 
  • Chocolate Mint (which smells like a York peppermint patty)
  • Blue Potatoes (yes I said Blue)
The Husband and I are going to be away next weekend. Therefore, since the tomatoes were pretty ripe and I still have the Chard left over from last week, I gifted the Tomatoes and the Escarole to my grandfather, who was all too happy to receive them. 

That leaves us with the Onions, Chocolate Mint, Fennel, Zucchinis (or however you plural that) and the Blue (yes blue) potatoes.  Interestingly the two ingredients I am most excited about this week, the mint and the potatoes, are, in a way, twists on their traditional counter parts. I don't think I'm going to find a recipe traditionally made with either one of them so I suppose my goal will be to make their uniqueness shine in a dish made for their boring siblings.

But let's be honest, I'm REALLY excited to cut open those potatoes. Will they really be BLUE inside or will we have another Purple Pea moment? Are they going to taste any differently then good old russets or is it all for show? and most importantly... will I dye my hands again this week? Only time will tell.  It's time to hit The Google Machine I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment