Monday, July 1, 2013

Kale Chips!

So I talked about Kale Chips two posts ago and then I couldn't get them out of my head. A little research on the net proved that they weren't exceptionally difficult and didn't take too long. So with some time to kill and the Kale getting old in the fridge. I took on the task of turning this:



into a healthy, crispy, snack.


Now The Husband and I used Deb of Smitten Kitchen's recipe found here. But in reality the recipes on the internet don't seem to vary very much. Some cook at a higher temperature, some at a lower. Some salt first, some salt after.  Some cooked for 40 minutes, some for 15. Either way it probably doesn't matter whose recipe you go with; the same basic steps apply. First, stem, wash, and dry the Kale:



Then coat the Kale in olive oil:



Then layer on a baking sheet in a single layer:



Not much happened in this recipe so The Husband took lots of shots:



We needed two sheets, and still had Kale left over:



Then bake until crisp:



Apply salt and enjoy:




THE VERDICT:

They were very satisfying. You couldn't really taste the Kale. It was kind of, I don't know, woody and the salt really pops on your tongue. Kinda like popped corn. Which is nice because I'm allergic to popped corn. Unfortunately I didn't get to have too many of them, even though I made two batches, because The Husband was hoovering them into his mouth. I turned around and half the batch was gone. I think it's safe to say they were a hit.

It's a good thing Kale is healthy for you.

The Recipe:

Again, recipe credit goes to Deb at Smittenkitchen.com. I LOVE HER.
  • 1 bunch (about 6 ounces) kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Sea salt, to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. 
  2. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl then sprinkle with salt. 
  3. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet. 
  4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. 
  5. Place baking sheet on a rack to cool.


1 comment:

  1. Now I want some, too. I may have to split the kale with you guys next time :)

    ReplyDelete