Monday, July 15, 2013

Week 6 Box 6

With The Husband and the MIL relaxing away at Cape Cod this little plebeian slaved away in the summer heat. She also found herself alone this Monday and the only one able to pick up The Box. This requires a 40 minute trip north (thankfully not in traffic this time) at top speed trying to make it to the Temple by 6:30.  I made it at 6:20 and picked up my abundance. 

If you've ever wondered what a full farm share box looks like in comparison to the 1/2 a box I get every week, this is your chance. When I got it all laid out on the table, needless to say it did not fit nicely into the big bowl:


I apologize for the cruddy picture, The Husband has the good camera with him on The Cape. So what are this week's contents? I'll tell you, but feel free to guess before reading the list.


  • Microgreens
  • More Kale
  • Tokyo Bekana
  • 3 Green Peppers
  • Fava Beans
  • 4 Tomatoes
  • 3 Purple Kohlrabi
  • 2 Yellow & 1 Green Zucchini
  • A pear shaped squash that is probably just a malformed zucchini
  • 4 Texas Super Star Onions
  • 1 head of Garlic
  • And Cilantro 

Yes, this is definitely more produce then I can handle. I miss the MIL. The first thing I did when I got home was get rid of the things I knew I wasn't going to use. By "get rid" I mean gift to my grandfather. That included 2 tomatoes and 1 Green Pepper. I also gifted him the Tokyo Bekana and the Microgreens because he eats salad on a daily basis and let's face it, I've been promising you salad for 6 weeks and it's probably not going to happen. I also set aside 2 of the Zucchinis and the remainder of the peppers for my mother who I am seeing tomorrow night. I am sure you noticed that I gave away all the Green Peppers. The Husband does not eat them, he does not like the taste of them and sweet pepper can ruin a dish for him. So off they go.

All this gifting still leaves plenty of produce for me to play with. I am sure you noticed the Kohlrabi and am equally sure that we will be renewing our efforts to conqueror that beast. Then of course there is the Fava Beans which is something I've never particularly liked but would be willing to give another shot as The Google Machine quickly sang its praises. We will just have to see what the week brings. In the meantime I have to go put all that stuff away, all by myself, ALL BY MY LONESOME (ahem... HUSBAND).

No comments:

Post a Comment